How to Protect Your Home or Business from Breached Pipes
SERVPRO of Emporia/South Boston would like to offer homeowners some helpful household tips.
Did you know, that per the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS), the average cost associated with a breach in your pipes could be up $5,000 – or more if there are water damage expenses associated with the breach? Did you also know that pipe insulation, which is something a homeowner can easily install around exposed piping, costs as little as fifty cents per linear foot?
Take a look at the following places in your home for possible standing or leaking water:
- The pipes along your home’s exterior walls,
- Under your kitchen and bathroom and bathroom sinks,
- In your attic and in the crawl spaces under your home
Some simple signs to help you spot a breached pipe you are the following:
- Wet spots under your sinks, cabinets and counters,
- Clogs throughout your home.
- Slow moving drains,
- Wet spots or puddles and/or sewer odors within your yard.
Every homeowner should know where the main water stuff off is for their home in case of an emergency. This shut off is normally located just outside the house. If you cannot locate your shut off, you need to ask someone such as a plumber or the builder so they can show you where it is located.
If you should happen to experience water damage due to a burst pipe in your home or business, call SERVPRO of Emporia/South Boston. We are available 24/7 at 434-262-6792 – the safest way for you to prevent damage is let the professional handle the clean-up!
Water Damage in Your Home – Types and Categories
At SERVPRO Emporia/South Boston we know that water damage is the leading cause to require water restoration needs. Here we will explain a few basic types of water damage and how they can affect your property and your health.
Many times, when people hear “water damage”, they imagine it to be caused by flooding of a nearby river, storm surge from the ocean or another natural disaster. But, while these events can cause water damage, often times water damage in homes is more commonly caused by:
- Overflowing toilets
- Leaking appliances, including the refrigerator, washing machine, ice machine, etc.
- Overflowing showers, bathtubs or sinks left running without attendance
- Leaking or broken pipes behind the walls and ceilings
- Property draining issues
- Leaking roof or compromised exterior
- Damage from rain, wind and/or storms
Now that you know the ways water can enter your home, from both internal and external origins, it is important to now know what kind of water you are dealing with. At SERVPRO, we recognize water in three different categories.
- Category 1 – We refer to this type of water as “Clean Water”, because it has originated from a sanitary source. Generally, this type of water will not pose a health risk to you or your family.
- Category 2 – This category is also referred to as “Grey Water”, meaning that the water may contain some contamination. It is not safe enough for human consumption and can pose a health risk if ingested.
- Category 3 – The final category, as called “Black Water”, is a type of water that is entirely contaminated and may contain harmful materials and other disease-causing organisms.
Each of these categories of water comes with its own guidelines of do’s and don’ts on how to handle them to ensure minimal property damage and risk to you and your family’s health. Water damage restoration professionals at SERVPRO Emporia/South Boston have advanced training, knowledge, and hands-on experience to handle these types of emergencies.
If you are in need of water damage restoration, call us today at 434-262-6792.